2022 National Maritime Award
As part of the 2021−22 Florida History Day program, the National Maritime Historical Society (NMHS) is sponsoring a scholarship for a junior-division and a senior-division entry that explores a maritime history topic. Criteria for these prizes are presented below. Recipients will be announced during the Florida History Day Awards Ceremony on May 3, 2022. For additional information about the Society, go to www.seahistory.org.
Prizes for 1st Place (ONE each for junior and senior divisions) include a $100 cash prize (divided equally for group projects), a one-year membership in NMHS which includes Sea History magazine, recognition on the NMHS website, and a certificate of achievement. The mentoring teacher will receive a one-year membership in NMHS and recognition on the NMHS website.
Prizes for 2nd Place (ONE each for junior and senior divisions) include a $50 cash prize (divided equally for group projects), one-year membership in NMHS which includes Sea History magazine, recognition on the NMHS website, and a certificate of achievement. The mentoring teacher will receive a one-year membership in NMHS and recognition on the NMHS website.
Individual or group entries in any NHD category may apply for the NMHS scholarships if they meet the following criteria.
- The entry is advancing to the Florida History Day state contest.
- The entry meets National History Day Contest Rule Book guidelines for all categories.
- The project represents scholarly and historically accurate research.
- The project topic relates to maritime history and to the NHD annual theme. The topic can relate to a person, event, or idea associated with maritime history such as underwater archaeology, ships, ship construction, artifacts, navigation, seafaring, naval operations, or maritime customs.
The deadline for applications is March 29, 2022. Entries will be evaluated by a three-person judging team. A scholarship awarded to a group entry will be divided equally among the participating students. Applying for a National Maritime Historical Society scholarship does not prohibit a student(s) from nominating an entry for other Florida History Day special prizes.
To apply for the National Maritime Historical Society Scholarship, send four copies of the NMHS application form ( PDF, 136 KB), entry process paper, and annotated bibliography to FHD Coordinator.
- NMHS Application Form ( PDF, 136 KB)
Mail applications to:
Florida History Day Coordinator
Museum of Florida History
500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
Deadline: March 29, 2022